Driver in court

The 27-year-old foreign national who was arrested for attempted murder, following the brutal attack of two girls in Okavango Road earlier this month, was due to make his second court appearance this week.

Provincial police spokesperson Captain FC Van Wyk said: “The man was arrested in Wallacedene, Kraaifontein, at 10pm on Saturday February 9, by detectives of Kraaifontein SAPS.”

He was arrested in connection with an incident in which two 20-year-old women were attacked and stabbed several times by a Taxify driver on Wednesday February 6, at about 3am, in Okavango Road.

He appeared in Blue Downs Magistrate’s Court on Monday February 11.

He remained in police custody until his appearance at Kuils River Magistrate’s Court yesterday, Tuesday February 19.

Captain Van Wyk said both women had been hospitalised but were recovering at home.

Reports of the incident went viral after Lance Kruger, the father of the one of the victims, called in to CapeTalk radio station to voice his anger at the incident.

He reported that the two girls had used the Taxify service to travel from the CBD to Uitzicht in Brackenfell.

The girls got into an argument with the driver when they told him they did not have cash to pay for the ride, but promised to pay the driver once they reached their destination.

Mr Kruger said: “He stabbed them five times each, stole their handbags, cellphones and left them for dead.”

Fortunately for the girls an ADT officer arrived on the scene and transported the girls to the nearby MediClinic Centre at CapeGate Mall.

Mr Kruger voiced his anger at the incident and called for stricter rules and screening of drivers of Taxify and other transport services.

Mr Kruger said: “The contact book has to be screened; they must know where they’re coming from. These guys have to be bought to book, my daughter could’ve been killed.”

“The vehicle used in the incident (a white Opel sedan) was recovered in Sea Point and impounded by detectives on Thursday February 8.

“Although the suspect’s cellular telephone was traced to Mossel Bay on Saturday, the detectives followed up on other information also and made a breakthrough on Saturday night and arrested the suspect in Wallacedene,” said
Captain Van Wyk.

Mayco member for safety and security, JP Smith said many Taxify drivers operate without trading licences as they operate as independent contractors, but added that the company would have to face some sort of punishment.

“Taxify should be facing an application for revocation of their permit…. maybe they are not a fit and proper company to hold an operating permit,” said Mr Smith.

When the incident occurred, Taxify issued a statement saying that dealing with the incident was of the highest priority for them and that they would assist police in the investigation.

However, since the arrest was made, the company has not released any further comment regarding the matter.