Boy, 15, in court over couple’s killing

A 15-year-old boy appeared in the Blue Downs Magistrate’s Court on Monday after a couple were gunned down at their Protea Heights home.

The Cape Argus reported that the teen is the couple’s son.

The couple, both 37, were shot dead on Sunday evening, according to police spokesman Sergeant Wesley Twigg.

Brackenfell police were investigating a double-murder case, he said.

“According to reports, Brackenfell police attended to the crime scene where they found the victims with gunshot wounds to their bodies. The victims were declared deceased on the scene by paramedics,” Sergeant Twigg said.

“A 15-year-old suspect was arrested and will be sent for evaluation.”

The case, being heard in-camera, had been postponed to March 17, and the boy had been released into the care of a relative, said his lawyer, William Booth.

“Firstly, he is in the care of a family member. Secondly, we are in the process of looking at psychiatric evaluation for the youngster. That process is ongoing, but I can’t give out any further information than to say we are busy with an investigation into his state of mind.

“Every time he appears, the court proceedings will be in-camera and closed to the public and media as far as his identity goes. Any information that would disclose his identity cannot be published,” Mr Booth said.

A family spokesman said in a statement that they had “experienced a grave tragedy and loss” and were asking for space during their bereavement.

The spokesman did not immediately respond to requests for further comment.