The installation of civil engineering services of roads, stormwater, water and sewer infrastructure at the City of Cape Town’s Maroela South housing project in Kraaifontein is on track, says mayoral commitee member for human settlements Malusi Booi.
The R63 million housing project will see the development of 395 state-subsidised Breaking New Ground (BNG) houses for those qualifying beneficiaries on the City’s housing waiting list and 175 GAP houses for people who earn between R3 500 and
R22 000 per month.
The site is situated in the area between Klein Begin and Wallacedene sports field in Kraaifontein.
Last Wednesday, March 27, Mr Booi made his way to the site, where trench digging began last month.
Mr Booi said the construction of the houses are expected to commence in 2020.
“It is great to see that the installation of the civil engineering services for the Maroela South housing project is progressing because it means that we are one step closer to seeing the plans for this development become a reality for our qualifying beneficiaries,” he said.
In October 2018, the Maroela South housing project developments were placed on hold after protesters set alight pipes to be used for civil engineering services (“Kraaifontein housing project placed on hold”,Northern News, October 2018).
Sub-council 2 chairwoman and ward 111 councillor Brenda Hansen welcomes the housing project and is happy to see it progressing.
She said: “There is a great need for housing in the Kraaifontein communities. Over the years there has been an influx of people, so there is a need for housing.”