Kraaifontein police have warned that burglaries appear to be on the rise in the area. Acting station commander Colonel Mnoneleli Magobiyane said dogs really were man’s best friend when it came to improving a home’s security.
He said police had found that homes without dogs were generally more likely to be broken into than those without.
Also houses with easy access, no alarms, no safety gates and no burglar bars, were frequently targeted.
“The house break-ins happen during day and night. People must be on the lookout; beware of the signs, such as strange people and cars, and always listen when the dogs bark.”
He advised homeowners to:
* Install a good security system , including burglar bars.
* Be more safety-conscious.
* Tell reliable neighbours when you’re away from home.
* Report suspicious characters roaming the street aimlessly.
* Do not confront suspects. Call the police at 021 980 5533/5534 or 10111.