Council touts Fisantekraal waste facility

Sub-council 7 supported a motion to conduct a feasibility study for a waste drop-off facility in Fisantekraal, at its monthly meeting at the Durbanville chambers.

In his motivation, Ward 105 councillor Ruan Beneke, said the closest facility was about 8km away in Kraaifontein and residents did not have the means to transport the waste. He said waste and illegal dumping had become a big problem in Fisantekraal.

Erf 1872 on the corner of Boy Briers and Station roads has been identified as a possible site, as it meets the required 1000m2.

The sub-council, which met on Tuesday February 14, recommended that the City’s solid waste department be asked to fund a feasibility study and register the project.

They also recommended that a report be submitted to the sub-council on the feasibility study and any other alternatives proposed to address the problem in the interim.

Mr Beneke said this project would not only help to keep the community clean but also create jobs for residents.

Sub-council also supported Mr Beneke’s motion for the rezoning and sale of 5 Tristan Close in Vierlanden. It’s zoned public open space and is part of the Tristanslot Community Park. Mr Beneke said it had become a thoroughfare for vehicles and bakkies and did not “serve a purpose”.

“People are also using this as a dumping area,” he said.

A liquor licence extension application by Stones in Edward Street to operate until 4am, was also supported. But Freedom Front Plus proportional councillor Erika Botha-Rossouw opposed the application, citing the country’s high rate of alcohol use.

DA proportional councillor Franklyn Raymond argued that they should base their decision solely on whether the establishment complied with City laws.

Ward 21 councillor Taki Amira noted their had been several objections but none based on factual evidence or incidents.

“We can’t hold the owner responsible for what is happening outside of the premises. It is the police’s responsibility to enforce laws in terms of the constitution,” he said.

Mr Amira also asked about the current mowing tender issue and said they did not want a repeat of last year when the City suspended all mowing due to a tender dispute.

City parks area manager Altus de Wet said there was no new tender in place.

He said the current tender had been extended and they were waiting for the case to be finalised.

The meeting also heard that in January, law enforcement in area north had removed 96 homeless people and demolished 67 illegal structures.

Principal inspector Peter Lourens asked residents to use the 107 number from a landline and the 021 480 7700 number from a cellphone, so that complaints could go through the City’s Emergency Policing and Incident Control (EPIC) system.