Wallacedene shack dwellers refuse to move their shacks from City-owned land in Phase 9, demanding they be added to the housing list.
On October 1, more than 300 Wallacedene people were left homeless after the City of Cape Town’s Anti-land Invasion Unit demolished their shacks because the land had been earmarked for people on the waiting list (“Riots erupt after eviction”, Northern News, October 10).
On Wednesday October 10 the rebuilt shacks were again removed and just hours later residents started rebuilding their shacks yet again.
One of the leaders, who did not want to be named, said he encouraged all of the land occupiers to “stay put” until they were added to the housing list.
“My comrades and I will not be moving from the area, we will continue building our shacks” he said.
He explained that women with children had moved from the area, however, others would continue rebuilding their shacks.
When Northern News visited Phase 9 on Thursday October 11, many residents were willing to speak but asked that their names not be published, claiming that their leaders would be angry if they were named.
Meanwhile,Joostenbergvlakte resident Jenny Bardenhost has claimed that during violent protests on Tuesday October 3, protesters had broken into her home while she was at work and threatened to kill her gardener. Despite numerous attempts, however, Northern News was unable to get confirmation of this from Kraaifontein police.
Northern News also contacted ward councillor Simpiwe Nonkeyizana and the City’s media officer, but by the time this edition
went to print, neither had