Two killed in weekend crashes

Paramedics attend to a scene in Brackenfell where a scooter driver was killed.

A 65-year-old man and a 35-year-old woman died in traffic crashes over the weekend.

The Brackenfell man died when his white VW Polo overturned on the N1 in the early hours of Friday September 15.

The Polo was being towed by the man’s son, who was driving a Toyota Corolla, Brackenfell police spokeswoman Captain Erica Crous said.

“They were travelling on the N1, direction Paarl. Just before the Okavango bridge, the rope between the two vehicles allegedly broke,” Captain Crous said.

“It seems that the deceased lost control over the VW Polo and hit a signpost with the side of the vehicle.”

The man died at the scene and case of culpable homicide was opened.

Also on Friday, at 7.25pm, paramedics attended to a woman who had been knocked off her scooter by a bakkie in Protea Heights.

“The woman was found lying underneath the bakkie’s wheel,” ER24 spokeswoman Ineke van Huyssteen said.

The woman was in a critical condition and paramedics rushed her to Tygerberg Hospital.

“Unfortunately as soon as they arrived there, the woman succumbed to her injuries,” Ms Van Huyssteen said. “She was declared dead at the hospital.”

* A Kraaifontein social worker was injured during the taxi strike unrest on Monday September 18.

Social development MEC Albert Fritz said the woman was travelling in an official vehicle when it came under attack.

“A group blocked its path and threw stones at the vehicle. All the cars windows were smashed-in and the social worker sustained injuries during the attack,” he said.

Despite her injuries, the social worker managed to make her way to the De Novo Treatment Centre.

She is receiving treatment for her injuries, Mr Fritz said.

Several roads were also closed on Monday because of the unrest.

The N1 incoming at Joostenbergvlakte was closed for several hours because of burning tyres in the road, traffic services spokeswoman Maxine Bezuidenhout said. Motorists used the slipway instead.

The strike was by taxi operators who were unhappy about the leadership of the Congress of Democratic Taxi Associations (Codeta) and the impounding of taxis.