Rugby coach killed

Nicolus Lippie Pedro.

A Kraaifontein family are mourning the death of a rugby coach who was gunned down outside his home last Friday afternoon.

Nicolus “Lippie” Pedro, 30, who coached the under-20 team at Hands and Heart Rugby Football Club, was shot in the chest and died in Verster Street.

His mother, Maria Pedro, said her son’s death had shattered the hearts of many, including his two brothers and three sisters.

“He was a people’s person and well known to the people of this community. My son loved sport and was always encouraging the younger people in the community to not get hooked on drugs but rather on sport,” she said.

She said she could think of no reason why anyone would want to kill her son as he had wanted “to do good in the community”, and his cellphone, sunglasses and wallet had not been taken.

“Clearly, they did not want to rob him. I think my son was killed because of jealousy. He was not a gangster,” she said.

She said that even though she had many questions around his murder, she “forgives the person who did this”.

Cascal Pedro said her elder brother had had a wonderful sense of humour and she would miss the way he had teased her.

“Lippie was someone who would call me names but was very overprotective. There was never a day he came in here sad. He would leave home happy and come back happy. I am really going to miss him and his smile, but we have made peace that he is no longer with us.”

Hands and Hearts Rugby Football Club’s assistant coach, Lindsay Primo, said Mr Pedro had been a close friend and his death was a loss both for the club and the community.

“Lippie spent a lot of time doing work with the kids in the community when he was not on the rugby field. He had a passion for helping people, especially children, to make something better out of their lives. He was a true inspiration,” he said.

“His plan was to play in the first team this year. However, we decided to make him the head coach, believing that he would bring home good results.”

Mr Primo is getting married later in the year and had asked Mr Pedro to be his best man.

Provincial police spokesman, Captain FC Van Wyk, said police were investigating a murder but no arrests had been made yet.