Police arrest three

Goodwood police arrested a 37-year-old man after he allegedly tried to rob Hyperama at N1 City Mall on Sunday April 22 in the early hours of the morning.

According to Captain Waynne Theunis, spokesman for Goodwood police, the security guard was patrolling when he heard a noise at the store’s entrance.

The man had allegedly cut electric wires and forced the door open.

Police received a call at 4.20am and Warrant Officer Tertius Romer attended to the complaint. Captain Theunis said the man appeared in the Goodwood Magistrate’s Court on house-break-in charges.

A gut feeling by a police officer led to the arrest of a 25-year-old man who was caught with a stolen vehicle on Sunday April 22, at 2.15am.

Captain Theunis said Warrant Officer Jacques Pieters was patrolling near the corner of Spencer Street and Voortrekker Road when he spotted six people standing around a white Chevrolet bakkie.

“After being told that they were waiting for someone, Warrant Officer Pieters left,” said Captain Theunis.

However, Warrant Officer Pieters felt that something was wrong and returned to the bakkie.

“On his return one of the men was sitting in the driver’s seat and the engine was running. Warrant Officer Pieters tested the car and found it was hijacked in October of 2017.”

The man was arrested and appeared in the Goodwood Magistrate’s Court for being in the possession of a stolen car.

A 25-year-old man was arrested after Goodwood police caught him following two smash-and-grab incidents.

Captain Theunis said that a driver of a white Hyundai had her window smashed on the corner of Voortrekker Road and Jakes Gerwel Drive on Tuesday April 24 at 8.15pm.

“Her handbag with two cellphones, cash and other valuables were stolen,” he said.

The thief struck again on Wednesday April 25, at about 12.30am but this time an operator of the Metro CCTV caught him on camera and he was later arrested.

Captain Theunis said the suspect was known to have been operating in the vicinity of that intersection for the past two years.

The suspect appeared in the Goodwood Magistrate’s Court on a theft out of motor vehicle charge.