Fire and rescue services have said that no one was injured in the blaze at Dekro Paints in Fabriek Street, Kuils River, today, Thursday August 31.
The fire occurred in the storage area at 11.51am and was caused by static electricity, said spokesperson Theo Layne.
Louis Wentzel, who worked in the building next door to Dekro Paints, said all the surrounding buildings had been evacuated.
Residents have been posting pictures of the blaze on the Kuils River community page all morning, asking what was the cause and if anyone was hurt. Several claimed to have heard loud bangs.
1 of 2