Durbanville police station closes after officer tests positive for Covid-19

The temporary Durbanville police station

The Durbanville police station has moved its operations to a mobile office on the same premises after an officer tested positive for Covid-19. 

The officer went for testing on Wednesday April 29 after feeling unwell and heard on Saturday that he has the virus, according to Durbanville police spokesman Captain Marchell Rhode.

“The station then closed and all of the staff members that had contact with him were sent for self-isolation, and we dispatched the mobile office. Since then the building has been sanitised, and hopefully the station will be open and fully operational by tomorrow morning.”

Durbanville police station commander Lieutenant Colonel Marius Swanepoel said as many as 10 staff members had been instructed to self-isolate. 

“The member that tested positive is part of the crime prevention unit (CPU). The CPU members are front line operational members active outside the greater station area, which means they are exposed to various dangers. The CPU team, however, does not engage with the general community at the front desk of the Durbanville police station,” Lieutenant Colonel Swanepoel said.

The incident would not disrupt policing services in the area, he said.

“Out network of partners is still in contact, and our community has the additional support of our very well connected security company partners, who can also be contacted by their clients in case of an emergency or to report suspicious activities.”

According to a Durbanville Community Police Forum statement, the station’s charge office, prior to the officer testing positive, had been getting regularly sanitised; hand sanitiser had been available; only two people at a time had been allowed to enter the charge office and they had had their temperatures checked remotely and their details recorded; all police vehicles were being sanitised after every shift or arrest; and officers were equipped with masks and gloves.