Durbanville home raided in drug busts

Ecstasy powder and tablets worth more than R6 million.

The Hawks have dealt a series of blows to Cape Town’s drug trade, seizing R37 million in ecstasy, dagga and cocaine and arresting two men, one from Durbanville, over four days. 

On Thursday May 14, the Hawks raided a home in Durbanville after seizing a container at Cape Town Harbour filled with R6.3 million worth of MDMA – ecstasy powder – and R70 000 worth of ecstasy tablets hidden in furniture. 

It was a joint operation between the Hawks’ Narcotics Enforcement Bureau (SANEB), local police and SARS customs officials, with the Hawks taking the lead.  

“This shipment was allegedly destined for a residence in Durbanville from Europe,” said Hawks spokesman Lieutenant Colonel Philani Nkwalase. “During a search of the house, the team confiscated approximately 1kg of hydroponic cannabis with an estimated street value of R120 000, as well as equipment used for the cultivation of hydroponic cannabis. A 30-year-old man was arrested at the home and will appear at court.”

Durbanville police spokesman Captain Marchell Rhode said the exact location of the home could not be disclosed due to the ongoing investigation. 

The 30-year-old man appeared at the Cape Town Magistrate’s Court on Monday on charges of possession with intent to sell. 

Then on Sunday, at an N1 petrol station, the Hawks intercepted a truck hauling R30.4 million in cocaine.

The Hawks could not disclose the exact location of the petrol station.

Officers had been tipped off about the truck, said Lieutenant Colonel Nkwalase. “When the container was searched, members seized a total of 38 packages containing cocaine and weighing 1kg each. A 37-year-old man, who we believe was on location to receive the shipment, was arrested and the truck has been seized. 

“Preliminary investigations have established the container came from abroad and transited through different provinces before making its way to Cape Town.” 

Lieutenant Colonel Nkwalase said the suspect would appear at the Blue Downs Magistrate Court on Tuesday. 

(Blob) Bellville police are investigating the death of a man, believed to be in his 40s, who was shot by an armed-response officer in Ridgeworth on Friday.

Bellville police spokesman Captain Johnathan Blankenberg said: “An officer of a private security company was on patrol on Friday May 15 when he saw the man trying to jump over the wall of the residence. When the responder approached the male, he prevented him from jumping over the wall.” 

According to Captain Blankenberg, the man had tried to stab and the guard and the guard had shot him. The suspect died at the scene. The guard was uninjured.

“There were eyewitnesses on the scene to corroborate the events told by the responder and an inquest has been opened.”