Goodwood and Bellville community day centres, day hospitals, will extend their operating hours this weekend as health workers fight the coronavirus.
The facilities usually operate on weekdays from 7am to 4pm but will now be open on Saturday January 2 and Saturday January 9, from 8am to 12pm.
Residents who are acutely ill or who need Covid-19 testing can visit the day hospitals at Goodwood, at the corner of Dingle and Church roads, and Bellville in Reed Street, to access these healthcare services. The extended service is an addition to weekend testing at the community health centres in the Northern Tygerberg area. Residents who need Covid-19 testing can also visit Elsies River, Delft or Kraaifontein day hospitals for testing from 10am to 12pm on weekends and public holidays. All people will be screened and only those meeting the testing criteria will be tested. People who need a negative Covid-19 certificate for travel purposes cannot be tested.
The extended service was launched last weekend in a bid to relieve service pressure on hospitals. The service extension also aims to cut down waiting time for residents.
Wearing of masks is compulsory, physical distancing of 1.5 m and other Covid-19 protocols are to be observed.
All residents who access a health facility will be screened but only those with Covid-19 symptoms and who fall into the categories below will be tested:
1. You are admitted to hospital and have Covid-19 symptoms.
2. You are over 45 years old and have Covid-19 symptoms.
3. You are of any age, have Covid-19 symptoms and have one or more of the following conditions including, diabetes, tuberculosis (TB), HIV, kidney disease, hypertension, chronic lung disease, cancer on treatment.
4. You live in a care or old age home and have Covid-19 symptoms
5. You are a health worker and have Covid-19 symptoms.
For all other enquiries contact the toll-free hotline at 080 928 4102. Alternatively, WhatsApp “Hi” to 0600 123 456. All lines are operational 24/7. The above contact details are for health-related matters only.