‘Cop killer’ case postponed

The scene of the ambush in Kraaifontein that claimed the lives of two police officers.

The case against Mxoleleni Sikhala, 32, who is accused of killing two Kraaifontein policemen, has been postponed again.

National Prosecuting Authority provincial spokesman Eric Ntabazalila says Mr Sikhala will appear on Wednesday May 5 for the killing of Constable Mninawa Breakfast, 28, and Sergeant Mnakwazo Mdoko, 46.

The case was postponed for further investigation, according to Mr Ntabazalila. The accused has abandoned a bail bid and remains in custody.

The case was previously postponed to March 9 for an attorney to be appointed to defend Mr Sikhala.

Sergeant Mdoko and Constable Breakfast were patrolling in Bloekombos on Sunday February 28 when they were gunned down in an ambush. Their service pistols were taken along with Constable Breakfast’s cellphone.

Mr Sikhala was arrested later in Khayelitsha. He has been charged with two counts of murder, one count of robbery with aggravating circumstances and one count of attempted murder for the wounding of a 25-year-old woman who was in the police van at the time of the ambush.

Meanwhile, three other men, Simamnkele Lesaoana, 29, Bonginkosi Fobosi, 33, and Lucas Kasane, 30, appeared in the Khayelitsha Regional Court on Monday March 8 in connection with the ambush. The case was postponed to Monday March 15.

“Sikhala was arrested alone for the murders. The three men were arrested for possession of firearms, two of which have been identified as belonging to police. One of the firearms is suspected to have been used for the shooting, but [the State is] waiting for the ballistics tests,” Mr Ntabazalila told the Northern News on Wednesday March 10.

Constable Mninawa Breakfast’s wife, Lulamela Breakfast.