Car thieves caught

Nola Payne from the Independent Institute of Education

Police arrested two suspected car thieves last week after a Goodwood man heard his white Nissan Sentra pulling out of his driveway.

Goodwood spokesman Captain Waynne Theunis said the Goodwood Street resident called the police shortly after midnight on Tuesday August 15 when he realised his car was being stolen. Dog unit officer Sergeant Colin Goliath heard the alert on the police radio and spotted the car in Ravensmead.

“After a short chase the suspects were arrested by Sergeant Goliath. He also found a Jepson radio and five USB sticks in possession of the two suspects, which were later found to be stolen from another vehicle on the Goodwood Street premises,” said Captain Theunis.

Two men, aged 33 and 37, appeared in the Goodwood Magistrate’s Court on charges relating to car theft and theft from cars.

An alert District Watch security officer arrested man for stealing from a car, last week.

A Plattekloof Glen man had parked his white Hyundai i10 in front of his house in Tugela Close only to return 10 minutes later to find his slippers and other small items missing.

“He checked video footage from inside the house and saw how a suspect opened the door and stole the items,” said Captain Theunis.

The man gave a description of the suspect to District Watch and one of its patrollers, Andries Mouton, spotted a suspect.

“Mr Mouton found the stolen items inside the bag and handed the suspect to Goodwood Police,” said Captain Theunis.

A 45-year-old man appeared in the Goodwood Magistrate’s Court on a charge of theft out of a motor vehicle.

A man turned the tables on four muggers who accosted him in Goodwood, last week.

Captain Theunis said the man was walking in Carey Slater Road on Thursday August 17, at 6.40pm, when four men approached him.

“One asked him for a cigarette. After giving the suspect the cigarette, the four men surrounded him, threatened to shoot him and searched
his pockets,” said Captain Theunis.

The man threw his Samsung cellphone into a nearby yard, and when the muggers jumped over the wall to get it, he grabbed one of them and shouted for help.

A security officer heard the shouts and went to help the man while the other three muggers fled with the phone.

A 23-year-old man was handed over to Goodwood police and appeared in the Goodwood Magistrate’s Court on a charge of robbery.