Brothers face expulsion

SOYISO MALITI

The Western Cape Education Department (WCED) says a disciplinary hearing has recommended the expulsion of two Grade 9 Monument Park High pupils who allegedly tried to choke their school principal.

The two boys, who are brothers, were suspended from the Kraaifontein school after they allegedly attacked the principal, David Jantjies last month (“Brothers suspended for attacking principal,” Northern News, April 27).

The pupils, aged 15 and 19, are in Grade 9 and Grade 12, respectively.

One of the two brothers had apparently been sent to see the principal by a teacher for being disruptive in class. When the other brother heard about this, he also took to the office. As teachers left the meeting with the principal and the pupils, a scuffle broke out, and, according to WCED spokeswoman Jessica Shelver, one brother allegedly “attacked the principal from behind and choked him”, while the other brother joined the “attack”.

Ms Shelver said a disciplinary hearing had recommended the expulsion of both brothers to the WCED’s head of department (HOD).

“If the HOD upholds the expulsion, the learners do have the right to appeal the decision to the MEC,” Ms Shelver said.

Meanwhile, Ms Shelver said Mr Jantjies had been booked off until June. Pressed for more information about the case, Ms Shelver said the WCED could not comment further “as there are court cases pending on both sides”.

She would not elaborate. Neither the Kraaifontein police nor Kuils River Magistrate’s court could confirm whether a case was pending by time of going to print.