10 years for stabbing prison wardens

The man who attacked and stabbed two Goodwood Prison officers in April was sentenced to 10 years imprisonment, two of which were suspended for five years.

Onke Mpalala, 38, was convicted on two counts of attempted murder.

Captain Waynne Theunis, spokesman for Goodwood police, said Mr Mpalala attacked and stabbed two Goodwood Prison officers on Sunday April 8, which resulted in them sustaining multiple stab wounds to their heads.

Goodwood police arrested a man, 42, last week after he kidnapped a 45-year-old man on Wednesday September 12, at 7pm.

Captain Theunis said the
victim had been taken under false pretences from his house in Goodwood. “The suspect, who suspected the man of having an affair with his wife, took the him to an address in Delft where he assaulted him. He then called the victim’s family demanding R10 000 for his release,” he said.

Information received, led investigating officer Detective Sergeant Karin Richards to the man’s car in Delft. “The family of the victim identified the suspect and he was arrested,” Captain Theunis said.

While Detective Sergeant Richards arrested the suspect, the victim managed to escape and was rescued by police. The man, 42, appeared in the Goodwood Magistrate’s Court last week on a charge of kidnapping.

Swift action by Goodwood police and a security officer led to the arrest of a suspect for a theft out of motor vehicle incident on Thursday September 13 at 6.05am.

Captain Theunis said Bradley Vollenhoven of Goodwood Armed Patrols responded to a complaint from a resident of Wessel Lourens Street in Tygerdal of a man loitering in the road.

“The suspect was carrying a bag. At that moment another resident in the street, whose vehicle was broken into joined Mr Vollenhoven.

“He immediately identified the bag as his property, which he alleged was stolen minutes earlier from his Mercedes Benz,” he said.

The man, 36, was arrested and appeared in the Goodwood Magistrate’s Court on a charge of theft out of a motor vehicle.